EU Commissioner for Health and Consumer Policy John Dalli has promised to launch new animal health legislation in 2011 which is revealed to move from a position of financing losses from disease outbreaks to one of financing prevention.
He, relating to this future EU legislation, quoted, "requires a culture change to consider outlays for prevention programs as an investment to save much heavier expenditure to combat disease outbreaks".
Commissioner Dalli said consideration will also be given about how the financing of such programs is to be shared fairly between the principle players: farmers, member states and the EU institutions.
He explained that the new law will aim to ease the current complex legal structure by introducing a streamlined framework instead of it.
The fundamental issues posted to be included are clarification of responsibilities of the main factors such as animal keepers and business operators; improved disease prevention and on-farm bio-security; and flexibility to adapt to new or varying circumstances.
- Samsung signs deal with Amazon.in to sell Galaxy K Zoom handset in India
- GE unveils smart LED light bulb – ‘Link’
- Report: iPhone 6 likely to be launched one month earlier than expected
- Huawei officially unveils its new high-end Ascend P7 smartphone
- Samsung launches its ‘Galaxy K zoom’ camera specialized-smartphone