The role played by nurses is very critical. They not only help save the lives of patients but also complement the role of the doctors. They are mostly in touch with patients for a longer time than anyone else. But very few nurses are available these days due to a lot of reasons.
Like most of the other countries in the world, Canada also faces a shortage of nurses. The situation may get worse if Government does not step in and take some drastic measures.
But a lot of factors are responsible for this. It the times are good and the economy is doing will it will mean that most of the new nurses will be easily able to find jobs. But during a recession they may not be able to get jobs. Even if they manage to get jobs, it may not be full-time jobs.
Medical experts feel that even though nursing offers a great future in the long run, nursing graduates may have to settle for part-time jobs in major hospitals.
Canadian Nursing Association estimates that the country currently faces a shortage of 20,000 full-time nurses. This will reach 30,000 by 2016 and 50,000 by 2022 according to the current trends.
Experts feel that hiring nurses from abroad is not a viable solution. It is important to improve the compensation package and overall facilities for nurses. It is also important to generate more awareness about the important role played by nurses in the society.
- Fireball over Yellowknife Turns the Night-Sky Bright
- Bitcoin investors call for protection after collapse of two major Bitcoin platforms
- Digitally-connected young Canadians are regular targets of ‘phishing’ scams
- Comprehensive Study Casts Doubt on Value of Mammograms
- Individuals have to stop piglet-killing disease by keeping it out of their barns