A provocative article written by a renowned Journalist, Gary Taubes has argued that sugar is toxic as its consumption increases the risk of heart disease, high blood pressure and many common cancers.
According to him, sugar begins to damage the liver first. Whereas, the nutrition experts said that sugar found in fruits is good for health if eaten in reasonable proportion. Moreover, it has been found that sugar present in glucose is not at all evil.
For an average person, the recommended daily allowance of sugar is about six-to-nine teaspoons of sugar a day. American’s consumption of sugar has alarmingly increased to about 90 pounds per year.
It has emerged that the consumption of sugar stimulates one’s pancreas to release insulin. It also stimulates the liver. Sugar that is not burned by our body gets turned into fat. Too much consumption of sugar can also lead to diabetes. Meanwhile, a new research has suggested that insulin triggers the growth of tumor cells.
It has been recommended that sugar should be replaced by artificial sweeteners so that the risk of developing disease could be reduced. Meanwhile, the sugar association has said more research is needed to prove the verdict of the article.
- Fire threatens entire city in Alberta
- Authorities order evacuation of entire city in Alberta due to wildfire
- Mitel Networks Corp of Canada to Buy Polycom Inc for Almost $2 Billion
- Reportedly Bombardier Inc. is Nearing a Deal with Delta for C Series Jetliners
- Review shows alcohol has no net health benefits