Morbity and Mortality Weekly Report of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has been issued in the state, highlighting about the new health warnings that have been recently issued by the researchers from Michigan State University to do-it-yourself workers.
Yes, the report has clearly mentioned that the researchers are suggesting the DIY workers to stay extra cautious from the associated risks while using chemicals like methylene chloride in spaces that have lower ventilation such as in bathrooms.
Workers commonly use products like methylene chloride while refinishing bathtubs and stripping paint because the product helps in clearing off the grease and paint.
But following news of death of 13 workers from these so-called heavy-duty toxic solvents like methylene chloride across the U. S. between 2000 and 2011, researchers have urged the workers to stay extra cautious while using these solvents and read the instructions of products carefully before using the product.
This common degreaser and paint stripper, strips epoxy paint off surfaces. Workers while refinishing bathrooms makes the maximum use of this solvent because it makes the job easier and also it shows far better results as compared to its alternatives.
Worsening is the fact that methylene chloride is present in almost 42 different products that are commonly sold in the markets at home improvement stores.
Researchers have earlier brought out this fact that methylene chloride can cause cancer, which has prompted the officials to tighten the use of this solvent. Despite the toxic and hazardous factors that are attached to methylene chloride, it still is being used in household setting and work environments.
"Each death occurred in a residential bathroom with inadequate ventilation", the CDC said in its Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. "Protective equipment, including a respirator, either was not used or was inadequate to protect against methylene chloride vapor".