As per recent reports, it has been claimed that the state on Friday filed a lawsuit in reaction to the decision of the federal government which was aimed at halting the funding being given to the Texas Women’s Health Program. The step has apparently been inspired by overflowing fights on clinics affiliated regarding the providers of abortion.
In this regard, Greg Abbott, the attorney general of the state, dragged the Department of Health and Human Services to court. The state, in the meantime, has claimed that the move of Obama administration clearly interferes in its aptitude to promoting women’s health.
The Texas Women’s Health Program reportedly holds in excess of 130,000 low-income partakers, and the federal money had enveloped more than 90% of its costs. But still, it has been claimed by experts in the know of things that a new state regulation clearly bans the state funding for clinics associated with those who provide abortion services.
It further forced the Obama administration to slice off the support, claiming that federal law needs women to be able to select any competent clinic. Along the same lines, Gov. Rick Perry said that Texas will carry on with the women’s program, no matter it lacks funding which used to be there earlier in the form of federal money.
While expressing his opinion in this regard, along with mentioning what all consequences the lack of funding can have on the working of the program, the Federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services’ Director, Cindy Mann, said: “We had hoped not to be at this point. But, unfortunately, as we've made clear to the state at all points in this process, we don't have a choice”.