As per reports, it has been revealed that a 65-year-old man from the south coast has lost his life after being diagnosed with a tick-borne infection known as babesiosis. It is the first ever human case of babesiosis, said the sources known to the matter.
The infection was first found in Australia, but it is the first case in the NSW south coast. The lead author of the report, Sanjaya Senanayake, of the Australian National University, was of the view that the case has been published in the Medical Journal of Australia.
He further affirmed that the man’s infection was accidentally diagnosed in Canberra Hospital, where his blood samples was taken for tests after he met with a car accident in November 2010. Post-mortem reports have revealed that the man died due to multi-organ failure.
The report has raised concerns about the wide spread tick infection in Australia. It is said that the tick infection is severe than normal tick bite and takes life in majority of the cases. Sanjaya said that as per them, rodent will be the carrier of the disease.
The infection is quite common in the US where the infection is being carried out by the white-footed mouse. Sanjaya said that the tick infection is not easy to detect as majority of the people are not even aware of the discomfort of the tick bite.
Associate Professor Senanayake was of the view that one-third of the population, who have been infected are not aware of the tick bite until they undergo blood test. He further affirmed that tick known as babesiosis is generally found in cattle and dogs in Australia. People handling the cattle are aware of the disease and take precautions accordingly.
- J. Michael Pearson, Valeant’s Chief Executive Officer Spent Christmas in Hospital for ‘Severe’ Pneumonia
- Eversource Faces Stiff Challenge from ‘Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests’ over Burying Power Lines
- Shaw Communications Agree to Buy Wind Mobile for C$1.6 Billion
- Supporters of The Export-Import Bank in Congress make an Attempt to Revive It