It has recently been revealed in a report that a write-down is going to be incurred by Walt Disney, for a sum of $200m. This is going to be for John Carter, the recent movie. The movie had a huge $300m budget as well as promotion and marketing done throughout the world, but it failed to do well at the box office. The movie is based on a novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs.
The movie is actually about a civil war hero from America. He goes to Mars and has a series of adventures there. This has been one of the costliest flop movies in Hollywood in the recent times, and the brunt of the same is being borne by the people who have spent on the making of the magnum opus.
The write-down is definitely a blow for the chairman of the Walt Disney studios, Mr. Rich Ross, who has continued his efforts of trying to improve the returns they are getting after the restructuring.
“You never really know what a budget is for any of these films because Hollywood isn't very open with its numbers. Directionally, though, these are definitely near the top of any list of worst films”, said Keith Simanton, managing editor of IMDb.
- Google Nexus 10 2 launch date reportedly delayed to 2014
- Ford unveils new 2015 Mustang in its first global launch
- Ford set to unveil its all-new 2015 Mustang --- the first Mustang to be sold globally
- Finnish startup Jolla Oy launches its self-titled Jolla headset in Europe
- HTC to launch dual-SIM variant of flagship HTC One handset in UK