Recent news claimed that the European Union (EU) has called for investigations that will be looking into the matter of Motorola mobile-phone patents licensing.
It has been discovered that the EU has formally launched two investigations on Motorola Mobility Holdings to check whether the company has violated any of the EU competitions rules.
The EU, which even banned many of the Apple’s and Microsoft’s after receiving a complaint on products like iPhone, iPad, Windows and Xbox, claimed that the products produced were not able to satisfy the standard-maintainable rules needed to be patented.
The regulators said, “The commission will assess whether Motorola has abusively, and in contravention of commitments it gave to standard-setting organizations, used certain of its standard-essential patents to distort competition”.
However, the investigations in case of Motorola are due to the complaints lodged by Apple and Microsoft. The companies have stated that Motorola has taken undue advantage of its high position in the market, and hence, has licensed the patented on standards that don’t meet with the actual standardization rules.
However, the EU has even affirmed that it will assess that the allegations imposed by the two companies, Apple and Microsoft, were even worth the investigations or not.
- Pebble launches its App Store on Android smartphones
- Oscar Mayer unveils new ‘Wake Up & Smell the Bacon’ alarm-clock app for iPhone
- Dyson launches a quieter, more efficient bladeless fan
- Samsung reveals new Black Edition models of Galaxy S4 and S4 Mini
- Panasonic announces Lumix DMC-GH4 camera with built-in 4K video recording