As per a new report, it has been revealed that two hospitals in the Northern Ireland have been facing the outbreak of listeria, a food-borne bacterium that causes blood infection.
It has been found that one of the two patients in a hospital under the Northern Trust has even died because of the same. However, he was already ill but, the bacterium has made a big contribution in his death, said Olive MacLeod, Director of Nursing of the trust that declared the outbreak.
The report has found that along with the two patients of the Antrim Area Hospital, a third patient in the Causeway Hospital, situated on the region's north coast, has also been infected by the virus.
Ms. MacLeod has reported that the patient who has died was an elderly one and he was already weak as he was suffering other illnesses too. Nevertheless, there is no doubt that the bacterium has played a vital role in his being caught by death.
Health experts have revealed that listeria is a type of bacteria associated with refrigerated food stuffs, including soft cheeses, smoked fish and cold cuts of meat. The list may also include pates and chilled meats. Investigation is under process despite the satisfaction of the hospitals with their way of managing cold food.
According to the findings, the inspection is being carried out in collaboration with the Public Health Agency and Environmental Health Officers. The director has told that while three to five cases of the infection are normally seen each year, the three cases faced this year have arisen in a bout, which is really concerning.
The two infected patients have been successfully recovering while further laboratory testing is however, being still undertaken.