After a long gruesome battle in the courts, justice has finally been given to the parents of the six year old girl who was left severely brain damaged due to medical negligence of health board. Parents of Kate Pierce have won their claim against Betsi Cadwalader University Health Board (BCUHB), who has agreed on the 75% responsibility for the claim. It has also been approved by the Judge at Mold County court.
The girl was merely nine months old when she developed life threatening infection called pneumococcal meningitis. After she was taken to the Wrexham Maelor Hospital, she was wrongly diagnosed for viral tonsillitis. After few days, her condition deteriorated, following which she was again taken back to the hospital. Later she was diagnosed with meningitis at the Alder Hey children's hospital in Liverpool, but had suffered severe brain damage till that time. Her condition is so worse right now that she need 24-hour care. She is more or less deaf and blind and has a chronic lung disease along with severe epilepsy.
Although the claim has been settled and both the parents as well as the BCUHB have come to a compromise agreement, another hearing is due in court to decide on the amount that has to be paid. The solicitor representing the parents confirmed that the figure would be in seven digits.
The father of the child, Mark Pierce said, “Kate’s life expectancy has been severely reduced and we have had to spend six years of that precious time with her battling with the [health] board”. He was also was very categorical in stating that he hoped that the health board has learned their lesson and they would ensure that no other life is ruined due to their negligence.
- J. Michael Pearson, Valeant’s Chief Executive Officer Spent Christmas in Hospital for ‘Severe’ Pneumonia
- Eversource Faces Stiff Challenge from ‘Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests’ over Burying Power Lines
- Shaw Communications Agree to Buy Wind Mobile for C$1.6 Billion
- Supporters of The Export-Import Bank in Congress make an Attempt to Revive It