As per recent reports, it has been subjected that a Canadian environmental activist group has demanded for a ban on Triclosan. It has been reported that triclosan is an antibacterial ingredient found in many of household products including, antibacterial soaps, hand sanitizers, and even some cosmetics, facial cleansers and toothpastes.
Environmental Defence has warned that the presence of the substance in certain proportionate levels in the human body can be troublesome; hence, its use should be illegalized.
Maggie MacDonald, Environmental Defiance’s Toxic Program Manager exclaimed that 20 years ago, there were very less proportion of substances containing this antibacterial agent, but now in Canada, approximately 1,200 products contain triclosan.
Previous reports suggest that the agent was initially approved for use as a pesticide in 1969. It has also used a sanitizer for medical items but only in medical institutes. However, during the recent years, it has even been subjected for use in consumer products, which can have devastating effects on human body.
It has been reported that a few animal studies, carried out to acknowledge the effect of triclosan, revealed that it acts as endocrine disrupter, which can lead to cancer and thyroid problems. MacDonald said, “It's a chemical that is toxic to frogs, fish and algae”.
- Fireball over Yellowknife Turns the Night-Sky Bright
- Bitcoin investors call for protection after collapse of two major Bitcoin platforms
- Digitally-connected young Canadians are regular targets of ‘phishing’ scams
- Comprehensive Study Casts Doubt on Value of Mammograms
- Individuals have to stop piglet-killing disease by keeping it out of their barns