He ignored a melon-sized tumor in his chest thinking that it must be a fracture, which he might have suffered from a cycling accident. Mareks Barden, 40, underwent a scan and found that he was having a tumor, and if he does not get it treated on time then he will die in next six months.
The scan revealed that he was suffering from a rare chondrasarcoma cancerous tumour, and if he would have ignored it for some more time then the tumor must have burst inside. Barden, a church worker, agreed to undergo surgery after five weeks of the diagnosis.
Plastic surgeon Paul Wilson carried out the operation with his team. He was of the view that he has not seen such big tumor before. Barden’s tumor was the biggest he and his team have operated till now.
It took them six hours to remove the 1.5 kg tumor. Not only this, Wilson said that they had to remove Barden’s six ribs also as well as lining of his left lung and they also removed a part of his diaphragm.
Wilson said that they replaced his ribs with a 25cm square acrylic cement panel. They used his shoulder muscle to repair the diaphragm. Surgery went smooth and Barden stayed in the intensive care unit for next six days. After assuring that Barden is healthy enough to be discharged he was allowed to go back home.
- Samsung signs deal with Amazon.in to sell Galaxy K Zoom handset in India
- GE unveils smart LED light bulb – ‘Link’
- Report: iPhone 6 likely to be launched one month earlier than expected
- Huawei officially unveils its new high-end Ascend P7 smartphone
- Samsung launches its ‘Galaxy K zoom’ camera specialized-smartphone