The famous cartoon character Popeye's habit of having the green spinach leafs is being fully backed by a new study published recently in the Journal of Physiology.
It is being said by a team of researchers at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm that Popeye's idea to consume a can of spinach daily to build up his biceps was a perfect one. Leafy vegetables are an important part of our nutrition in order to become strong, the team adds.
The findings have come after the study that was conducted on a group of mice, which was given the drinking water with direct addition of nitrate each day. Since, green leafy vegetables contain large amount of nitrate. It has been told that the amount put was equal to a day's 200 to 250 grams of spinach consumption.
Following the same, the group of fed mice was dissected and their muscles as well as their functions were compared to that of a control group. It was found that those with nitrate dose daily had grown stronger muscles.
However, the effect was noticed in fast-twitch muscles only, which are meant for strength and high-intensity exercises, told Andres Hernandez from the Department of Physiology and Pharmacology.
US Business News
New Zealand News
- After Suspected Botulism, CFIA Warns People
- Health Care Education Necessary for the Future of Province: Analysts
- B.C. Government Grants $700,000 for Managing Facial Deformities
- Michelle Shocked delivers hate speech about homosexuality at her gig
- Guess who Justin Bieber got burned by?!! His ex-girlfriend Selena Gomez