One of the other reasons to encourage kids to lead an active life is to prevent poor motor coordination. It has been found in a study that children, who lead sedentary life and spent maximum time while sitting and watching television, and computer, are at greater risk of suffering from reduced motor coordination.
Lead author Dr. Luis Lopes from the University of Minho said that it is vital to lead a healthy life, as a lot of it depends on proper development of motor coordination skills. In order to reach at the above given conclusion, the study researchers assessed 110 girls and 103 boys of Portuguese origin.
All children were between the age group of nine and 10. The study centered on the daily conduct of children and to assess the same through accelerometers. It was revealed that 75.6% children lead their life in a couch potato way.
It shall however, be noted that the maximum effect of sedentary lifestyle was on boys than on girls. "It is very clear from our study that a high level of sedentary behavior is an independent predictor of low motor coordination, regardless of physical activity levels", said Lopes. The study findings are expected to act as a way to encourage children to lead an active life.
US Business News
New Zealand News
- After Suspected Botulism, CFIA Warns People
- Health Care Education Necessary for the Future of Province: Analysts
- B.C. Government Grants $700,000 for Managing Facial Deformities
- Michelle Shocked delivers hate speech about homosexuality at her gig
- Guess who Justin Bieber got burned by?!! His ex-girlfriend Selena Gomez