Nanofibres, which are made by using nanotechnology, are said to be quite dangerous for health. A study being taken out by a group of researchers from the University of Edinburgh has revealed that nanofibres are as toxic as asbestos.
The study, which has been published in the Toxicology Sciences, has based its findings on an experiment being conducted on rats. Ken Donaldson, who is a Professor of respiratory toxicology at the university, cleared that though lungs of humans and mice are different, the research findings will help them to develop safer nanofibres.
During the research, one more thing was unveiled that longer fibres were more dangerous in comparison to short length fibres. Donaldson explained that they injected nanofibres of varied lengths in the lungs of mice.
They then observed that the fibres, which were bigger than five micrometres, were causing problem in the liver and caused swelling and soreness in the liver. "Knowing the length beyond, which the tiny fibres can cause disease is important in ensuring that safe fibres are made in the future", affirmed Donaldson.
Professor Stephen Spiro, who has been working with the British Lung Foundation, appreciated the study findings and said that they will surely bring a decline in the cases of mesothelioma.
US Business News
New Zealand News
- After Suspected Botulism, CFIA Warns People
- Health Care Education Necessary for the Future of Province: Analysts
- B.C. Government Grants $700,000 for Managing Facial Deformities
- Michelle Shocked delivers hate speech about homosexuality at her gig
- Guess who Justin Bieber got burned by?!! His ex-girlfriend Selena Gomez