Health Canada has announced that they have permitted six drug makers to make generic version of oxycodone, which comes under the brand name of OxyContin. It was not an easy decision for Health Canada to take the decision.
While explaining the reason for the same, authorities concerned said that a lot of pressure was as the drug has been highly abused. Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq was also under great pressure and he had to take the decision to quit the drug from the market.
In such a scenario, it got difficult for them to announce that six companies will be coming with the drug. Health Canada said that the drug is absolutely safe if it is taken as per prescriptions. The six companies, which have received permission, are Apotex Inc., Teva Canada Ltd., Laboratoire Riva Inc., Sandoz Inc., Cobalt Pharmaceuticals and PhamaScience Inc.
It was on Sunday that Purdue's patent to market the drug expired and then the decision was taken by Health Canada. There are people, who think that the decision is wrong as it is risky for people to have OxyContin.
"The federal government had an opportunity to stop the production of a generic drug that has been proven to be dangerous and destructive", said Chief Collins from Fort William First Nation.
- Samsung signs deal with Amazon.in to sell Galaxy K Zoom handset in India
- GE unveils smart LED light bulb – ‘Link’
- Report: iPhone 6 likely to be launched one month earlier than expected
- Huawei officially unveils its new high-end Ascend P7 smartphone
- Samsung launches its ‘Galaxy K zoom’ camera specialized-smartphone