A significant rise has been seen in tobacco smoking from hookahs, said California public health officials. Not only this, they said that a number of cafes are getting opened in the area, which offers the Middle Eastern-style water pipes service.
A tobacco survey was also carried out, which has revealed that 40% rise has been witnessed in number of people smoking hookahs between 2005 and 2008. The report, which has been published in the American Journal of Public Health, has also revealed that hookahs are as dangerous for health as are cigarettes.
While talking about the pattern, Dr. Ron Chapman, who is the state director of public health, said that a major rise has been seen among college students. As per the findings, the age group between 18 and 24 has smoked hookah once at least.
Chapman said that people are in disbelief that it is a better way to smoke tobacco. But, they are not able to understand that why having tobacco is bad? "There is a very, very concerning misperception about the use of hookahs among youth, thinking it's somehow safer. In fact, it puts you at the same risk", said Chapman. Anti-smoking campaigns have been announced by the authorities concerned to bring a decline in the pattern.
- Fire threatens entire city in Alberta
- Authorities order evacuation of entire city in Alberta due to wildfire
- Mitel Networks Corp of Canada to Buy Polycom Inc for Almost $2 Billion
- Reportedly Bombardier Inc. is Nearing a Deal with Delta for C Series Jetliners
- Review shows alcohol has no net health benefits