Concern Over Methanol Poisoning in Alcoholic Drinks in Indonesia
After a Perth teenager got diagnosed with suspected methanol poisoning in Indonesia. authorities have warned Australians who have been planning to travel to Indonesia about dangers of methanol poisoning present in alcohol-based drinks.
Liam Davies, 19, was celebrating New Year near Bali when he got ill after having a drink. The incident raised concerns among the authorities concerned, who have been asking Australians to remain cautious.
"People need to exercise great caution because more and more of this methanol-based Arak is making its way into the market because there's very big money in it", said Ross Taylor, who is chairing the WA-based Indonesia Institute.
Dr. Michael Gannon, the vice-president of Australian Medical Association, has expressed concern about the level of safety present in other countries across the globe. He said the situation of the teenager was a sad one.
For now, it is not clear whether the condition should blamed on unprofessionalism, which has been carried out during the process of the distillation process. There are chances that drinks might have been deliberately spiked, but none of the reasons have been revealed.
Experts said such incidents do take place in places like Bali, so it will be better to acknowledge the risk.
Famed microbiologist Dr. Mark Wainberg, who played...Read More
Microsoft Corp. has claimed that it has already...Read More
Struggling to fight back soaring heroin and HIV...Read More
During the most recent Nintendo Direct, the mobile...Read More
Fresh Express is recalling a limited number of...Read More
Tech giant Google Inc. has plans to introduce a...Read More