Concern Over Methanol Poisoning in Alcoholic Drinks in Indonesia

.

Concern Over Methanol Poisoning in Alcoholic Drinks in Indonesia

After a Perth teenager got diagnosed with suspected methanol poisoning in Indonesia. authorities have warned Australians who have been planning to travel to Indonesia about dangers of methanol poisoning present in alcohol-based drinks.

Liam Davies, 19, was celebrating New Year near Bali when he got ill after having a drink. The incident raised concerns among the authorities concerned, who have been asking Australians to remain cautious.

"People need to exercise great caution because more and more of this methanol-based Arak is making its way into the market because there's very big money in it", said Ross Taylor, who is chairing the WA-based Indonesia Institute.

Dr. Michael Gannon, the vice-president of Australian Medical Association, has expressed concern about the level of safety present in other countries across the globe. He said the situation of the teenager was a sad one.

For now, it is not clear whether the condition should blamed on unprofessionalism, which has been carried out during the process of the distillation process. There are chances that drinks might have been deliberately spiked, but none of the reasons have been revealed.

Experts said such incidents do take place in places like Bali, so it will be better to acknowledge the risk.


Latest News

PARK(ing) Day Celebration Turns Parking Spots into Temporary Parks
Oasis Beverages a Russian Company Buys Pabst
About 6.4 trillion calories to be cut from food products
Rise in sexually transmitted infections worry all
Breast cancer awareness taken to another level by foundation
Practicing yoga can help bipolar disorder
Oracle’s Chief Larry Ellison Retires
Price of Alibaba IPO Remains at Top Range
Artificial sweeteners might trigger diabetes
World Alzheimer’s Report Suggests Dementia Can Be Preventable
Artificial spleen can rid the body of infections
Obese can lean down through social networking sites: Study