Elwood V. Jensen has been accredited as such a medical researcher whose treatments for breast cancer have saved a number of lives. It was in 2004 that he was honored with the Albert Lasker Basic Medical Research Award.
The award is considered to be one of the respected awards in the field of science across the globe. Jensen started his research as a career in 1950s at the University of Chicago. His interest area was steroid hormones and with the help of the same, Jensen has been able to come up with such breast cancer treatments that hundreds of thousands of lives have been saved.
A lot of suspicion was there around steroid hormones, but it was the determination of Jensen, who proved that steroid hormones can be effective. It was in 1968 that Jensen came with a test for assessing the presence of estrogen receptors in breast cancer cells.
After coming with a test, Jensen said that breast cancers, which have been positive for estrogen, can be treated with medications like Tamoxifen. Not only this, he suggested some other options as well, like removal of ovaries to inhibit the estrogen hormone. With passage of time, his advancements in the area kept on increasing.
- Samsung signs deal with Amazon.in to sell Galaxy K Zoom handset in India
- GE unveils smart LED light bulb – ‘Link’
- Report: iPhone 6 likely to be launched one month earlier than expected
- Huawei officially unveils its new high-end Ascend P7 smartphone
- Samsung launches its ‘Galaxy K zoom’ camera specialized-smartphone