Massachusetts health department has revealed that after unexpected inspections, 10 pharmaceutical companies have been asked to close down their work temporarily.
Around 40 companies were visited by a team of inspectors. It was preceded by the news of New England Compounding Center (NECC) in Framingham, Mass., shipping vessels of injectable methylprednisolone getting infected with mold to clinics across the country.
These infected steroid products were utilized for spinal injections. Reports have said the administration of the steroid had led to an outbreak of fungal meningitis.
Besides ordering 10 pharmacies to stop their work, one company has been commanded to stop the production of one particular drug, sildenafil citrate. The Department of Health said they saw 21 pharmaceutical companies violating small laws but they have been provided permission to continue their sterile drug production.
Cease-and-desist letters were sent immediately after the inspection was done. These letters were notified to 11 pharmacy companies. This was revealed in a statement released by the state's Department of Public Health.
The Department of Health said the companies have responded well to the directions provided to safeguard the law. Earlier it was seen that three fundamental companies of the state met with an annulment of their licenses.
According to FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg, substandard and illegal practices will meet the same fate in future as well.
- Samsung signs deal with Amazon.in to sell Galaxy K Zoom handset in India
- GE unveils smart LED light bulb – ‘Link’
- Report: iPhone 6 likely to be launched one month earlier than expected
- Huawei officially unveils its new high-end Ascend P7 smartphone
- Samsung launches its ‘Galaxy K zoom’ camera specialized-smartphone
- Fireball over Yellowknife Turns the Night-Sky Bright
- Bitcoin investors call for protection after collapse of two major Bitcoin platforms
- Digitally-connected young Canadians are regular targets of ‘phishing’ scams
- Comprehensive Study Casts Doubt on Value of Mammograms
- Individuals have to stop piglet-killing disease by keeping it out of their barns