High blood pressure has become quite a common problem across the world. To specifically talk about India then hypertension is responsible for the cause of 57% stroke deaths and for 24% coronary related deaths.
There are ways by which one can control hypertension and that is keep a tab on sodium intake. RD Disha Jhaveri, Dietician with Global Hospital, Mumbai, said that in order to curb hypertension, it is important to reduce the amount of sodium consumption.
"One of the effective ways to control hypertension is to restrict salt or to be more specific about sodium intake", said RD Disha Jhaveri.
Generally, it is been considered that sodium is found in salt only. But such is not the case, as sodium can be found in water, mil, green leafy vegetables, butter, snack items, dried foods and ready to eat items also.
Another advice to reduce the intake of sodium is to try different substitutes of salt. Mustard powder, curry leaves, unsalted oregano, parsley, tulsi leaves, mint, lemon juice, onions and vinegar are some of the many other options for sodium.
Experts have also recommended avoiding bakery items like pizzas, cakes, biscuits as these items contain sodium in the form of baking soda.
- Fireball over Yellowknife Turns the Night-Sky Bright
- Bitcoin investors call for protection after collapse of two major Bitcoin platforms
- Digitally-connected young Canadians are regular targets of ‘phishing’ scams
- Comprehensive Study Casts Doubt on Value of Mammograms
- Individuals have to stop piglet-killing disease by keeping it out of their barns