Plain-Packaging Makes Cigarettes Less Appealing: Study

.

Plain-Packaging Makes Cigarettes Less Appealing: Study

Published in the online British Medical Journal, a new study has found that plain-packaging helps in making the cigarettes less appealing to smokers.

The study asserts that plain packaging had major effect on the smoking habit of the smokers. It was found that it made the cigarettes appear to be of poorer quality and less satisfying to the smokers. This led to increase in desire to quit in them.

Plain packaging was introduced in December last year and it is the first major study after that. It is said that the findings of the study may prompt David Cameron, the Prime Minister of Britain, to think second time over his stance on introduction of the move in Britain.

The research was funded by Quit Victoria and surveyed over 536 smokers in November 2012. Of the smokers surveyed, 73% smoked from plain pack while the rest of 27% smoked from branded packs. It was found that most of the smokers from plain pack thought their cigarettes to be of poorer quality and less satisfying.

"The findings fit with all the anecdotal information we are getting - plain packaging provides smokers with that extra incentive to quit", said Professor Mike Daube, President of Australian Council on Smoking and Health.


Latest News

Springdale, the Small Utah town Finally Repeals Chain Restaurant Ban After a Dec
Oshkosh Corporation Won a $30billion Contract for Replacing Humvee Units of the
Federal Reserve Vice Chairman Fischer Hints Inflation is Likely to Rebound Permi
Trib Total Media Plans to Sell Nine Newspapers including Four Daily and Five Wee
Twitter Plans to Employ More Women Next Year to Diversify Its Workforce
OPEC Oil Producers Prepared to Endure Lower Oil Prices But will Continue their P
Stanley Fischer Federal Reserve Vice Chairman Says No Decision Has Been Taken fo
Biggest Daily Climb Noted in the Oil Markets in Past Six Years
According to Sources Marchionne to Take over as Both CEO and Chairman of Ferrari
Consumer Spending and Inflation Drops in Japan Adding Pressure on Policymakers
Patterson Companies, Inc reports $29.7 million First Quarter Profit
Gap Announced by Beginning of Next year It will Phase Out On-Call Scheduling