Australia is said to be having one of the highest per-capita rates of cannabis usage across the world. In addition, it has also been unveiled that cannabis derived from the Northern Rivers is the strongest in the world.
It is said people who are taking these cannabis are at an increased risk of suffering from mental illness. Recently, a study titled as National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre study was carried out.
In the study, researchers have assessed the level of THC, which is said to be the main psychoactive component present in the drug. Lead researcher Dr Wendy Swift said that in order to carry out the study, they have assessed 232 samples.
These samples were the ones that were seized by NSW police from the users in different parts like Lismore, Tweed Heads, and Byron Bay.
After assessing the seized cannabis, it was found that the THC level was under 15%."These results suggest that the profile of cannabis currently used in Australia may make some users vulnerable to mental health problems", said Dr Swift.
Michael Baulderstone, President of Nimbin Hemp Embassy, said he was not shocked to know that the area was having potent cannabis.
- Fire threatens entire city in Alberta
- Authorities order evacuation of entire city in Alberta due to wildfire
- Mitel Networks Corp of Canada to Buy Polycom Inc for Almost $2 Billion
- Reportedly Bombardier Inc. is Nearing a Deal with Delta for C Series Jetliners
- Review shows alcohol has no net health benefits