Vivus Inc. has declared that Onexa, their experimental drug for weight loss has proved successful in trials. During the 28- week trial, the drug was effective in helping obese people lose 9.2% of their weight on an average.
A study was conducted on 756 patients to prove the efficacy of the drug. It was observed that those patients who took highest dose of the drug, lost the most weight in comparison with the people who were given the drug’s individual components or those who were given a mid dose or else a placebo pill.
65% of patients who were given full doses of Qnexa were able to lose 5% weight without any difficulty. It was also proved during the trials that the drug is tolerated well among patients. Only few people reported side effects or problems associated with the drug. The side effects that were seen included itching, dry mouth, constipation or altered taste. Though cases of depression were reported in the some people but the same number of people on the placebo drug also reported depression.
However, the patients in the study group were given a diet that was 500 calories less than their normal diet. These people were also instructed to exercise at least three times in a week.
Qnexa is a combination of phentermine – half of the recalled fen-phen diet pill – and the epilepsy drug topiramate, which is marketed under Topamax.
After its successful trials the drug is awaiting an approval from the FDA before it can be introduced in the market.
- Samsung signs deal with Amazon.in to sell Galaxy K Zoom handset in India
- GE unveils smart LED light bulb – ‘Link’
- Report: iPhone 6 likely to be launched one month earlier than expected
- Huawei officially unveils its new high-end Ascend P7 smartphone
- Samsung launches its ‘Galaxy K zoom’ camera specialized-smartphone
- Fireball over Yellowknife Turns the Night-Sky Bright
- Bitcoin investors call for protection after collapse of two major Bitcoin platforms
- Digitally-connected young Canadians are regular targets of ‘phishing’ scams
- Comprehensive Study Casts Doubt on Value of Mammograms
- Individuals have to stop piglet-killing disease by keeping it out of their barns