Despite Detrimental Side Effects of Adderall, FDA Advises Not to Stop Giving the Drug to Patients
Adderall is a medicine that is prescribed for treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder or ADHD.
According to the medication guide for Adderall XR, the medicine has detrimental side effects. These include heart related troubles such as sudden death in patients, who have heart problems or heart defects. It can also result in heart attacks and strokes in adults, an increase in blood pressure and heart rate.
Besides these physical side effects the medication also has an adverse impact on mental health. It can lead to worsening of behavior, problems in thinking, augment bipolar disorder or cause the disease, aggressive behavior in all patients.
In children and in teenagers, the medicine is linked with fresh psychotic symptoms such as hearing voices, believing in things that are untrue and suspicious or maniacal signs.
The Food and Drug Administration has issued a notice regarding the injurious side effects of stimulant medicines such as Adderall on cardiovascular health. The alert was issued on June 23, 2009.
The FDA also undertook a study on the impact of the drug on children. The primer data suggests that Adderall augment the risk of sudden deaths in this group.
However, the agency was not certain whether the drug lead to death in these cases. It has therefore stated that patients should not stop taking the medicines.
United Kingdom News
- Mass market crucial for Macau Casino Industry’s recovery: Bernstein Analysts
- William Hill to merge online and retail divisions with Phil Walker in-charge
- BGC impressed by steps taken by UK casinos, disappointed by Government’s response
- Stephen Cohen reappointed as Commissioner of the Gambling Commission
- Online Sports Bettors don’t turn to Online Casinos during absence of sports: Research