SA Nurses Discontented over State Govt.’s Response; Offer to be Reconsidered

SA Nurses Discontented over State Govt.’s Response; Offer to be Reconsidered

State Government gave a response over the wages and conditions claim of South Australian nurses, but the latter are not happy with it, and have said that the response is short of the mark. Elizabeth Dabars, State Secretary, Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation, informed that this wouldn’t be accepted by the members.

Now, their proposals will be re-evaluated by the Government negotiators and will come to the federation by Friday. A warning has been given by the nurses union that if the State Government does not work upon their latest wages and conditions offer, then the members will go on a strike next Tuesday.

The members are discontented over the response as, according to them, some major issues such as staffing levels, have not been resolved completely by the offer given. A demand had been kept forward by the nurses and midwives that staffing levels and workloads should be changed.

Ms. Dabars said, “The state Government's package on staffing levels, skills mix, professional development, career structure, wages and working conditions will not be acceptable to our public sector members based on feedback received during recent workplace meetings”.

Nurses want that over the next three years, a hike of 9% in their wages should be made. On the other hand, the federation was of the view that any Government offer will require nurses and midwives to grant the community with safe and efficient care.