Teenager Hooked on Detergents and Soap Bars to Undergo CBT
A 19-year old girl from the US is currently receiving treatment for her habit of consuming soaps and detergent powders. The girl in question has been identified as Tempestt Henderson, a resident of Florida.
Apparently, the girl ends up eating five bars of soap on a weekly basis. The reason behind Tempestt developing this habit is because she is suffering from a condition known as PICA. The disorder results in people developing a habit of eating non-nutritive substances.
People with PICA end up having an urge to consume metal, coins, chalk and batteries, it is usually developed because of the absence of some vital nutrients in the body. For an example, the need of iron results in pregnant women wanting to eat coal.
Talking about herself, Tempestt says that she likes to lather up a green bar of soap in the shower. Following which, she likes to lick the bubbles of the lather. At the end of the bath, she takes the bar and eats it by slowly sucking it.
She exclaims, "I love the clean feeling it gives me. Eating soap feels so much cleaner than just washing with it".
In order to remedy Tempestt, doctors are planning to give her intensive Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). The therapy will mean that she will try thinking of something else, whenever the thought of eating a soap bar pops in her head.
United Kingdom News
- OEMs trying to go all-electric without ‘doing math’ fully: Tesla co-founder says
- MIC Tesla Model 3/Model Y sales surge to new all-time high in September 2021
- Jaguar suffers steep decline in I-PACE sales in Q3 2021
- A quick look at Hyundai Ioniq 5 EV’s powerful 800 V battery pack
- EMGo ScrAmper e-motorcycle comes loaded with several unique tech specs