Japan under a Threat of Radioactive Materials
Japan’s strongest earthquake has claimed the lives of numerous people. The damage does not seem to end yet. The possible meltdown at Tokyo Electric Power Co.’s Fukushima Dai-Ichi No. 3 nuclear reactor has caused a concern among the authorities. It is expected that the damaged nuclear reactor can release dangerous and life threatening radioactive materials.
The longer the reactor’s fuel rods remain exposed the stronger is the probability of the meltdown. Even after the blast that happened at 11:01a. m. Local time today the vessels that contained the reactor’s radioactive core were not affected.
The situation is still not stable because if the radioactive material gets released in the environment it can cause an immense amount of damage. It can not only affect the current generation but can also affect the food and environment for years to come.
Potassium iodide can be used to block the radioactive iodine till a certain level from entering the thyroid gland. It will not be helpful in saving other body parts. If a person’s thyroid gland is already damaged the Potassium iodide will not be of any help. Few of the radioactive materials can be removed from the body by using Prussian blue. It is a commonly used dye since 1704.
United Kingdom News
- OEMs trying to go all-electric without ‘doing math’ fully: Tesla co-founder says
- MIC Tesla Model 3/Model Y sales surge to new all-time high in September 2021
- Jaguar suffers steep decline in I-PACE sales in Q3 2021
- A quick look at Hyundai Ioniq 5 EV’s powerful 800 V battery pack
- EMGo ScrAmper e-motorcycle comes loaded with several unique tech specs