Clinton encourages UConn community to actively participate in voting
Hillary Rodham Clinton, the former U. S. Secretary of State, on Wednesday urged students of the University of Connecticut to be active members of the 'participation generation'.
Clinton described the millennials in the audience as confident, connected and open to change, and encouraged them to participate by voting, especially for those candidates who believe in compromise.
She stressed that leaders desperately needed their energy and talents, and that those who don't vote should not complain about what happens in Washington.
Encouraging students to vote, she said, "So, when I look at this audience and look out more broadly at students . I am hopeful, and we desperately need your energy and your talents. If you don't vote then you really can't complain about what's happening in Washington."
She touched several topics, including whistleblower Edward Snowden, foreign policy and immigration, and answered six questions asked by University of Connecticut President Susan Herbst.
Sponsored by the Fusco family of New Haven, the event was reportedly attended by 2,300 people. Around 70 per cent of the audience was comprised of university students, while the remaining 30 per cent was comprised of faculty, guests, and media persons.
Clinton has been enjoying a great demand on the lecture circuit since leaving her post as the Secretary of State last year. While the Fusco family didn't reveal how much Clinton cost for the speech at the university, experts believe that the high-profile speech might have cost the sponsor around $200,000.
United Kingdom News
- Fiat’s all-electric E-Ducato commercial van boasts lots of impressive features & specs
- Ford to build “Ion Park” in southeast Michigan for in-house battery cell production
- Genesis unveils fully-electric G80 at 2021 Shanghai Auto Show
- VW to equip all MEB-based EVs with bidirectional charging capability starting next year
- Nissan’s European and Japanese teams collaborate to test Ariya electric SUV ahead of production