Lara Casalotti finds stem cell donor
Lara Casalotti, who is a mixed-race student diagnosed with an aggressive form of leukaemia, was seeking a stem cell donor from around the world. The good news is that a campaign to seek a donor has bourn fruits and a match has been found, much to the delight of the family and friends.
The campaign to save her life had already received backing from J. K. Rowling, Stephen Fry, fashion photographer Mario Testino, Pink Floyd's Nick Mason and actor Mark Wahlberg. The British Prime Minister had also supported the campaign. The campaign to look for a donor for Casalottihad taken off on social media and is one of the largest campaigns of its kind. Miss Casalotti is half-Thai and half-Italian and needs a stem cell transplant by April to save her life.
She was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukaemia shortly before Christmas. Doctors found that her only brother, Seb was not a match. Her family launched a campaign aimed at finding her a donor and also urge more people to register as donors. The donor hadbe an Asian-European to be a match but this is a challenge as there is a shortage of ethnic minority donors across the worldwide registers.
The donor's identity has to be kept a secret due to patient-donor confidentiality regulations.
United Kingdom News
- COVID-19 lockdown pushes online casino searches to 'all-time’ high
- UK Betting industry enjoys £1 billion tax rebate
- American Gaming Association urges President Trump to revise tax threshold on slots
- Careful planning must for Casinos to bounce back from COVID-19 pandemic: Experts
- German Government agrees to Lufthansa Package